May 30, 2009

FYI: Stimulus Package as a Home Purchase Motivator—Don’t Jump into Home Ownership

Even I get tired of me sometimes. Folks want to be all excited and I have to keep inserting nasty little details to muddy the waters. The idea of getting $8,000 as FREE MONEY to buy a house is so tempting that I even considered it for a few days myself. Thank goodness I woke up and realized, I had not been planning to buy a house, don’t really want to own a home at this particular point in my life, can’t handle the maintenance nor do I wish to be tied down to a specific home until I am absolutely sure where I want to retire in a few years.

I was recently asked by a young lady at a “Buying TIME” workshop whether or not she should consider buying a house now because of the stimulus money. I asked her a couple of questions to try to determine what answer I should I give her.

a. Were you thinking about buying a house already?
b. Do you know your credit score and have you checked with a lender to see how much home you can afford? Are taxes included in that payment?
c. Is your job stable enough that you feel comfortable making that kind of commitment?
d. Do you have any money saved for a down-payment?
e. Do you have a budget set aside for maintenance?

I have not answered her question yet and now she is frustrated with me. (I didn’t get to ask her the rest of the questions). Shouldn’t she just take advantage of this maybe once in a lifetime chance to get some free money to buy a home? My answer: Not unless the answer to all the questions I did ask are “YES”.

I have read the stimulus package and the guidelines for the $8,000. I am real clear that it does not come with an annual budget for maintenance, a new lawn mower and appliance package and 95 other things you need if you are about to step out into home ownership. I support home ownership and encourage anyone who is ready to take that step to do so. But because I am a consumer advocate who hopes that the folks who buy homes will live there as long as they choose and not be forced to let the home go because they did not understand all the responsibilities which go with owning a home, I beg you to slow down and consider all the aspects of that choice before you hurry on down and grab the money. Selecting a local HUD-approved housing counseling agency and taking a pre-purchase course as well as some on-line studying could help you avoid making a costly mistake.

Buying a home is a BIG decision; give it the respect it deserves. Owning a home can be extremely rewarding (I’ve owned before) but do it on your terms, when the time is right for you. Buy conservatively and ENJOY.

***An interesting footnote, “Buying TIME...When your money is running out” is a workshop designed to help folks who are struggling with managing payments on their current housing.  So the question raised above was from an attendee at a workshop which would indicate you are not ready to make a home purchase.

Copyright © 2008, Home Ownership Matters, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

(Please E-mail Heather at homeownershipmatters@gmail.com with any questions, comments or concerns you might have! We appreciate all comments and feedback, so please don't be shy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment