June 14, 2009

Your Real Estate Advisor: Don't You Quit

As I was driving back to Florida the other day I decided to listen to a tape which had been given to me by a new acquaintance a couple of weeks before which I had not yet taken the opportunity to play. I had been having one of ‘those weeks’ where most of the stuff that can go wrong had decided to go wrong. The compressor went out on the car, the check I needed yesterday had not arrived and the contract due last week was still not in my company’s mailbox. I wasn’t exactly depressed but I wasn’t exactly uplifted either.

Encourage yourself

The song which changed my perspective was saying “sometimes you have to encourage yourself.” “Sometimes you have to give yourself a pat on the back.” It did NOT advocate call somebody, wait on somebody, hope somebody will come along and lift you up. It emphatically said, ‘do it yourself.’ I found that exceedingly powerful. Too often we are looking to some outside force to help us to make it when what we really need is to turn inward, find the inner strength which we all have and ‘encourage ourselves’.


Don’t you quit!

One of my favorite poems since I discovered poetry while still a child is “Don’t You Quit”. The first verse is printed below. Remember it, hold fast and know that IF you hold on and remember to /tie a knot/ you can weather most storms and live to fight again another day. Be encouraged and remember:

Don’t You Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you are trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must—but don’t you quit.
--Author unknown

I hope you are encouraged today, no matter what you are facing, to continue the struggle. We may not get what we had hoped for but if we refuse to quit we will certainly attain some satisfaction in knowing that we accomplished more than we would have had we caved. Encourage yourself and refuse to give in.

Copyright © 2008, Home Ownership Matters, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

(Please E-mail Heather at homeownershipmatters@gmail.com with any questions, comments or concerns you might have! We appreciate all comments and feedback, so please don't be shy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment